A large amount of analytical data is obtained from automatically monitored power plant cycles. This has to be condensed into concise information to be of practical value to the plant operators. In this paper a data processing system is described which enables:
◦ continuous on-line anaJytical data to be treated statistically to obtain mean values with a greater accuracy,
◦ calculations to be carried out for additional analytical and operational parameters to characterize the cycle fluid,
◦ single, manually acquired analytica1 data from grab samples to be replaced by more representative average values obtained over pre-determined operational periods,
◦ a reliable diagnosis to be obtained in the event of problems by appropriately evaluating trends and excursions,
◦ documentation and eva1uation of relevant data as part of a long term monitoring strategy.
To guarantee good performance, a high standard of instrumentation is required for reliable monitoring and fault finding.